There are a number of different factors that determine whether or not you need a planning permit. These include, but are not limited to:
- the types of works you want to do (renovations/a new house/two or more houses/a new cafe)
- where the property is located (what zone it's in)
- how big the property is
- whether the property is in an area that may possibly flood (is it in a land subject to inundation overlay?)
- whether your property is adjacent to a major road
- whether your property is in an area where heritage controls apply
- if you're wanting to run a business from home
- if you want to subdivide land.
If you want to do some research, the VicPlan website is a great resource. It allows you to look up your property and find out how it fits into local planning requirements.
If you want information confirmed in writing, you can apply for written advice.