Pools and Spas Safety

In Victoria, swimming pools and spas with a water depth of more than 30cm must have safety barriers to restrict access of young children to the pool or spa area.

Backyard Pool

Safety Barriers

Property owners and occupants are responsible for making sure pool barriers are maintained, repaired and in working order.

Is a lockable lid a safety barrier?

No, a lockable lid is not a safety barrier and does not meet legal requirements.

What are the requirements of a pool safety barrier?

The pool or spa area must be a separate enclosure on the property. No access is allowed directly from the dwelling or from any other outbuilding on the allotment. A safety barrier must be permanent and automatic.

Gates must swing away from the pool, be self-closing, self-latching and have latches at specific heights. Specific barrier heights and other dimensions apply, including non-climbable zones around, and within, the pool or spa enclosure.

Safety barriers are required for:

  • In-ground pools and spas
  • Above-ground pools and spa pools including inflatable pools holding more than 30cm of water
  • Indoor pools and spas
  • Bathing and wading pools containing more than 30cm of water
  • Spas and swimming spas (including portable spas)

Safety Barriers are NOT required for:

  • Bird baths
  • Fountains
  • Water supply/storage tanks
  • Fish ponds
  • Dams

Building Permit

Do I need a Building Permit?

Yes, you must obtain a building permit before you install a pool or spa, if it is capable of containing more than 30cm of water.

How Do I Get A Building Permit?

A Building Surveyor is responsible for issuing a Building Permit at the commencement of a building project. The surveyor can advise on documentation necessary to obtain the permit.