How are my rates calculated?
Rates and Charges
See the rates table for a detailed break down of rates and charges.
Waste Management Services
The cost of Waste Management Service for the 2019/20 year is $363.10.
Green Waste Services
The cost of Green Waste Services for the 2019/20 year is $70.30 for properties included in the service.
Fire Services Levy
Rather than contributing through insurance premiums, a property-based levy is collected with your rates. Eligible pensioners and veterans also receive a $50 concession. Read more at Fire Levy Victoria.
When do I pay my rates?
* The City of Ballarat will extend the final rate instalment due date from 31 May 2020 to 30 June 2020 without penalty for ratepayers directly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The charging of interest on overdue rates has also been suspended indefinitely.
Rates and charges can be paid by:
- a lump sum payment before 15 February 2020.or
- four instalments* made on or before the following dates:
- 30 September 2019
- 30 November 2019
- 28 February 2020
- 31 May 2020
* To be eligible for payment by instalments, the first instalment must be paid by the 30 September.
Pensioners can receive a reduction of rates. For 2019/20 the rates concession is capped at $235.15.
How to Apply
- Submit an Application for Concession on Rates
- A copy of an Eligible Concession Card must be presented with the application.
Financial Hardship Concession
We can waive or defer the payment of any rate, charge or interest if a person can demonstrate that the payment would cause financial hardship. Visit DHHS Concessions and Benefits for more details.
Need further assistance?
Call our revenue team on 5320 5750.
What is rate capping?
A system to cap rates was introduced in 2015, limiting the amount of revenue increases a council can levy through rates. Council rate rises have been capped at 2.50% for the 2019/20 financial year.
For details on rate capping visit Local Government Victoria - Fair Go Rates.