Over half of Ballarat's street trees are deciduous, which means they drop their leaves every year. The collection of leaves a is a big task during autumn and winter. Our staff collect leaf litter on a street by street basis as well as responding to individual enquires.
Leaf collections dos and don'ts
- Sweep leaves from gutters and footpaths into small piles and place them on the kerbside. Submit an online leaf collection request or call our Customer Service team on 5320 5500.
- Compost and mulch the leaves from your property.
- If you have a lot of plane tree leaves, go over them with a mower with a catcher attached to create mulch as these leaves do not compost well.
- Leaves can be taken to the Transfer Station.
- Leaves can be placed in your green waste bin.
- Put leaves in the general waste bin.
- Burn leaves, you could receive a $500 fine.