Ballarat’s streetlighting is receiving a major upgrade with 6,750 lights being replaced by energy efficient LEDs along our smaller residential roads.
The LED technology offers superior performance and life expectancy and will deliver significant cost savings and reduced environmental impact.
Under this City of Ballarat-funded program, works are underway in residential streets across the city and will take about six months to complete.
The initiative is a flagship action of the City of Ballarat’s Carbon Neutrality and 100% Renewables Action Plan and aligns with our strategic commitment to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and mitigate climate change.
By the numbers:
- 6,750: The number of streetlights being retrofitted with LED on our minor roads.
- 80%: How much more energy efficient the new 17 watt LEDs are compared to the existing bulbs.
- 20: The number of years of life expectancy for the LED lights compared to a four-year changing cycle for existing bulbs.
- 6: The number of years for a return on our investment.
- $9.8 million: The estimated savings for the City of Ballarat over 20 years.
- 2,000: The number of tonnes we will reduce our greenhouse gas emissions by each year - equivalent to lighting 3,500 homes.