Maternal and Child Health
Our Maternal and Child Health (MCH) service is free for City of Ballarat families with babies and children, from birth to school age.
This service supports families with helpful information on a wide variety of topics in early parenting, child health and development, and family health and wellbeing issues. Maternal and Child Health can provide specialist referrals and help to link families with local community based supports, and enable social connections with other parents.
Maternal and Child Health Nurses are registered nurses and registered midwives with additional tertiary qualifications in maternal and child health nursing in preparation for community based work with families.
Home visits and consultations
The MCH service will contact you when you are discharged from hospital to arrange a home visit.
After your first home visit, there will be nine consultations at key stages, including 2, 4 and 8 weeks; 4, 8, 12 and 18 months; and 2 and 3.5 years of age.
The nurse will review your child's health, growth and development, including hearing, vision, speech and fine and gross motor skills. At each nurse consultation you can discuss any concerns you may have relating to your child, and your early parenting experience.
Information can be provided on parenting and child-related topics including:
- infant feeding and nutrition
- sleep and settling strategies
- child behaviour and development
- family health and wellbeing
- support for the emotional wellbeing of new parents
Maternal and Child Health centres
Call 5320 5720 to make an appointment.
Appointments are available at our six centres on weekdays:
- Ballarat: Girrabanya, 11B Steinfeld Street, Ballarat Central
- Wendouree: Corner Gillies and Norman Streets, Wendouree
- Buninyong: 208 Learmonth St, Buninyong
- Sebastopol: 183 Albert St, Sebastopol
- Bonshaw: 284 Morgan St, Sebastopol
- Lucas: 160 Eleanor Drive, Lucas
Appointments are also available at the Girrabanya Centre on the second Saturday of each month from 9am to 12pm.
Drop-in Maternal and Child Health services
No appointment is needed to use the MCH nurse drop in/open clinic services at:
- Parent Place, 39 Sturt St, Wednesdays 10am - 2.30pm
- Wendouree Children’s Centre, corner Gillies and Norman Streets, Fridays 9am-noon