Cr Belinda Coates (Deputy Mayor)
How do I get in touch?
About Councillor Coates
Central Ward Councillor Belinda Coates is the Deputy Mayor of the City of Ballarat. Cr Coates has worked in social work, counselling and psychotherapy in the health and human services, public service and tertiary sectors.
Cr Coates was first elected in 2012 - she has a particular interest in social justice and environmental issues and as a tireless community advocate.
Cr Coates brings strong skills to her role having worked as a lecturer at University of Ballarat, a senior counsellor/advocate at the Ballarat Centre Against Sexual Assault (CASA) and as a social worker in the federal public service.
Cr Coates holds a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) from the University of Melbourne; a Graduate Diploma Advanced Counselling, University of Ballarat; and is a graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors (GAICD).
A lifelong Ballarat resident, Cr Coates lives in Central Ballarat with her partner. She enjoys gardening, cycling and the arts.
- Ballarat Friends of Ainaro Community Special Committee
- Community Impact Special Committee
- Audit Advisory Committee
- CEO Performance Review Advisory Committee
- Clean Ballarat Committee
- Community Safety Advisory Committee
- Disability Advisory Committee (Chair)
- Intercultural Advisory Committee
- Koorie Engagement Action Group Advisory Committee (Co-Chair)
- Public Art Advisory Committee
- Active Transport Working Group
- Australian Local Government Women’s Association (ALGWA)
- Central Victorian Greenhouse Alliance
- Local Learning Education Network
- Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV)
- MAV Rural South Central Region Group
- Victorian Local Governance Association (VLGA)
- Coghills Creek / Glendaruel Cemetery
- Learmonth Cemetery
- Portfolios: Community Development (Liveability) and Finance