Where can I let my dog off the lead?
You can exercise your dog in an off-leash area but must maintain effective control. Discover off-leash areas using our online map.
What do you mean by effective control?
To maintain effective control of your dog you must:
- carry a chain, cord or leash to bring your dog under control
- remain within voice or hand control and in constant sight of your dog at all times
- not allow your dog to worry or threaten any person or animal
Are there places within off leash areas where I still need to keep my dog on the lead?
Yes. Even in off leash areas, you need to have your dog under effective control, using a chain, cord or leash if your dog is within 50 metres of:
- an organised sports event or practice
- children's play equipment area
- the main part of a public meeting
- or event or a permanent barbecue or picnic area.
You need to have your dog under effective control, using a chain, cord or leash if your dog is within 10 metres of any:
- shared path
- walking track
Don't forget to clean up
You need to carry something to pick up after your dog.
Find the location of our dog bag dispensers around Lake Wendouree.