- Full time
- Salary $67,345 per annum plus 9.5% superannuation
- Art Gallery of Ballarat
- Closing date for this position is
The Art Gallery of Ballarat provides a focus for visual arts in the Ballarat region. It is the oldest and largest regional Gallery in Australia with a collection of Australian art which ranks in the top 5 in the nation. Special collections relate to early Ballarat, Goldfields, Eureka, the Lindsay family and medieval and renaissance manuscripts. The Gallery aims to stimulate appreciation and enjoyment of the visual arts for the people of Ballarat region and to attract visitors from the wider Australian communities. The Gallery conserves a major collection, displays and interprets the collection, presents temporary exhibitions, tours, workshops, lectures and musical and performance events.
The Gallery has recently adopted a new strategic plan which places audiences at the heart of everything we do. We are entering a new phase in our history and need to build the team to achieve our new plan.
We are looking for a dynamic, results focused, creative person to provide high level support for exhibitions and curatorial work and support the management and development of the Gallery collection. The position also coordinates the Backspace Gallery, a community gallery space.
Key Selection Criteria
- Qualification in Art History, Visual arts and/or Museum studies with some industry experience or extensive relevant experience.
- Experience working with artworks in a cultural collection and using collection management databases
- Extensive experience in exhibition installation across a wide range of art media and the handling of artworks.
- Strong skills in time management, planning and the ability to organise own workload and demonstrated ability to manage projects effectively under pressure
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to work in a team environment and gain co-operation and assistance from other employees and volunteers.
- Ability to work with a wide range of people, including artists and other art industry stakeholders, with the ability to communicate technical issues and requirements to external contractors
- Previous experience and a thorough understanding of all stages of developing and managing art exhibitions and/or non-museum art projects
- Capacity to communicate about art in a variety of formats, in accessible and engaging ways for multiple audiences.
- With a focus on service delivery, the ability to work flexibly, cooperatively and an ability to work outside core hours and weekends as required.
For further information on this position, please contact Louise Tegart, Director Art Gallery of Ballarat, 03 5320 5774
How to Apply
- Read the Position Description
- Complete the Application Form
- Please ensure you address the Key Selection Criteria
- To apply please email firstname.lastname@example.org and attach:
- Covering Letter
- Addressed Key Selection Criteria
- Application Form
- Include the position title in the email subject
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a safe working environment that embraces and values child safety, diversity and inclusion.
Learn about our employment details.