Her Majesty’s Theatre
This stage is jointly funded through the City of Ballarat and a $2 million grant under the Victorian Government’s Living Heritage Program.
Estimated completion date
Stage 1 restorative works are currently underway.
As part of the first stage of works, the historic raked stage has been reconstructed, allowing works above and below the stage to progress at the same time.
These works include:
- rebuilding the new dressing rooms under the stage
- carry out solid and decorative plaster repairs and painting conservation works in the Auditorium
- rebuild internal copper guttering and localised roof sheeting replacement above the Long Room
- progress damp remediation works, with all render removed and the salt removal process almost completed. Deep pointing will then seal out moisture and a new render application will begin
- carry out service renewal works for fire and emergency lighting.
The first stage of the project is intended to be completed in time for the opening of the 2019 Royal South Street Society’s competition.
The theatre will close again for stage two works in early 2020 – to undertake the majority of the restorative works – however the City of Ballarat remains short of its targeted budget to breathe new life into Her Majesty’s Ballarat.
Last year we launched our campaign to Save Her Maj.